There are many alternative systems for developing local-first applications. We list a selection of them below.
If you'd like to add your project to the list, please feel free to make a pull request.
Some of the projects that are either closer to ElectricSQL or generally better known:
- LiteFS / Litestream
- Vlcn / cr-sqlite
Other local-first projects:
- Redwood (Braid)
- consensus-based geo-distributed databases like Spanner, Cockroach and Fauna
- consensus-based SQLite replication systems like Dqlite and rqlite
- other consensus based systems like Redis
- distributed Postgres like pgEdge, SQLedge and EDB BDR
- distributed filesystems like IPFS and RainbowFS
- edge databases-as-a-service like Macrometa, D1 and Turzo
- horizontal sharding systems like Planetscale and Citus
- OLAP / data analytics systems like DuckDB / Motherduck
- read replica systems like Fly Postgres and Polyscale